Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Oh Hermit Crabs, Oh Hermit Crabs!

A few weeks ago we went to visit my grandmother at the beach and came home with 4 hermit crabs. Something that mommy takes care of (When I remember.) At least it isn't a child!
So yesterday Caleb (Oh sweet, feisty Caleb) got up and decided that he needed to let his hermit crabs out to walk around IN HIS BED! But Caleb (being just Caleb) forgot about the hermit crabs in his bed and a few hours later realized one was missing! AWESOME... is not something I even thought about saying. However I got a flashlight and the search began.... Under the beds (the boys have bunks) , under the mattresses, under the covers... shaking out the coves, searching under dressers, through the closet, in every piece of clothing not in the laundry hamper... I searched the hall closets, the babies room, under the couch etc etc. I was not happy spending so much of my day searching for a crab that was going to die and stink. I never found the crab and finally gave up.
Fast forward about 8 hours to bedtime. Benjamin goes to get in his covers, and there in his bed (the bottom bunk) is Caleb's hermit crab! I have no idea where he was hiding or how he got back into the bed, but he was NOT on that bed when I searched. So I was relieved to have it back where it belongs.
This morning I went into the boys room to make sure the hermit crabs had water and food and I always pick them up and put them on the sponges so they can drink some water. I noticed that Caleb's other crab (not the one that escaped) was sticking out of its shell pretty far.... OH NO... I was pretty sure he was dead! I touched its claw and it limply just hung there.. yup pretty sure its dead. Maybe not... No its really dead. So off I went to tell Caleb that his other hermit crab is now dead. The boys of course needed to investigate and next thing I know there is a limp shell-less hermit crab laying in the cage. The boys of course pulled him out of the shell. I couldn't leave his lifeless little body in the cage (it was already starting to smell a bit) so I went and got a small box and put it in the box. I took it to the boys and told Caleb that he needed to go in the backyard and bury his hermit crab. He looked at me and said in every ounce of seriousness that a 5 year old has "Mommy how is he going to get to heaven if he is in a box?" "How is God going to get him if he is in a box and I put it in the ground?"  I started thinking how in the world do I explain this one, so I said well buddy when we go to heaven, its not our actual bodies that go to heaven its our soul. (Big mistake... I should have just told him that God has ways of making sure they get to heaven.) This started a very frustrated 5 year old angry fit because "I DON'T KNOW WHAT A SOUL IS MOMMY!!!" And reasonably so, I tried my best to explain and it wasn't happening so I finally said "when daddy gets home just ask him." Mommy fail # 5 million.
Needless to say we are down to 3 crabs. I have a feeling we might be doing this 3 more times in our near future. We should have left the hermit crabs at the beach. Lesson Learned!

No comments:

Who I am Through Pictures