Saturday, April 5, 2008

Stockpiles and Recipes

Stockpiles: I am learning to stockpile with groceries and things like bathroom goods. It is very helpful. I thought I would give some tips on how to start stockpiling and why it is good to do. I have learned over the past few years that there are items that are fairly standard in many recipes and it is annoying when I don't have them. Here is what I try to do and the items I try to keep stocked in my pantry.

Canned Goods (I try to have 6 of each)
Diced Tomatoes
Tomato Sauce
Tomato Paste
Chicken Broth
Cream of Chicken soup
Cream of Mushroom soup
Rotel
Green beans

(if there is something else that you use often stock up on that as well) Items I don't use as often, I make sure I at least have 2 cans of, such as:
Kidney beans
pumpkin
sweetened condensed milk
evaporated milk
My pantry is a little low on canned goods right now. I have not been shopping in quite a while.

Pasta (I try to have an extra box of each)
spaghetti
angle hair
lagsana
elbow noodles
bowties
any other fun shape you tend to use.

Other pantry items
sugar- have at least 1 extra bag
flour- have at least 1 extra bag
olive oil- 1 extra
canola or veggie oil- 1 extra
1 box of powdered milk (I only use this in an emergency when I am out of milk and a recipe calls for it.)

Frozen items:
Chicken- I always try to have 1 extra bag of chicken
veggies-broccoli, spinach, corn, veggie mixes. etc.. I try to keep these just in case a recipe calls for it.
stir fry mix- this consists of peppers (yellow, red, and oinions) this is excellent to keep around
ground beef- at least 2 lbs in the freezer
Cheese- I keep whatever cheese (shredded) that we are not using at the time in the freezer then I just put it in the fridge to thaw when we need it.
Butter- I always have at least 2 lbs in the freezer. When I run out I take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge. (this won't work with margerine)
pecans and walnuts- These last so much longer in the freezer

Refridgerator Items:(these are harder to stockpile because they can go bad)
cheese- I keep 1 lb in the fridge and the rest in the freezer
Butter-
eggs ( always have them on hand- watch the date they do go bad) I have heard that if you shake an egg and can hear it shake around it is not good anymore.
Milk- so many recipes call for this and I try to keep it in the fridge at all times
Mayo- at least 1 jar in the fridge ( i also have 2 extra jars in my pantry right now because they were on sale b1g1 free.

Baking Items:
at least 1 cake mix in each flavor (chocolate, vanilla, and white)
bittersweet chocolate squares
and semi sweet chocolate squares
brownie mix (i try to keep 2 because I love brownies)
vanilla flavoring
cocoa powder
baking powder
baking soda
brown sugar
powdered sugar
chocolate and vanilla pudding mix

Ok.. this gives a good idea of some stockpiled items in my house. I keep 6 cans of a lot of those things, because often recipes will call for 2 cans of something, that way it is not like I have to rush out to the store to get more if a recipe later that week or the next week calls for that item also.

I grocery shop about once a month (although now that I am using coupons I am going more often and spending small amounts each time or I will go for produce and milk) One reason I am able to go to the grocery store once a month is because I stockpile items. I usually always have the things I need for most recipes.

When I do go to the grocery store I will check my items and see if I am low on anything and if I am I will pick up a few of them and not have to buy that item for quite a while. This really cuts down on the grocery bill. When you first start to stockpile dont buy everything at once, but start slowly. Get some of the canned goods and the frozen goods. This way you don't add a huge expense to your bill, but you can begin getting the items you need.

One other thing I have done is that when I buy a bag of onions I have found that I never use them quick enough and they end up going bad. I hate this because it is a waste of food and money. I will take the onions and chop them up (you could do some in slices, some diced) whatever works for you. Then I put one onion into a zip lock sandwhich bag and date it and write the quantity on it. Then I will take all the individual baggies and put them in a gallon sized freezer bag and put them in the freezer. If a recipe called for one diced onion, I just pull out the bag and it is ready to go.

Ok.. I think I am going to start a new thing on my blog featuring an easy, affordable recipe. I have not decided if I want to try to post one every few days, once a week, or try to do one daily. They are going to be recipes I make for our family.
the first one I will post, was dinner last night. I needed something easy and fast to prepare.

Cheesy Vegetable Quiche with Bacon
Ingredients: 1 deep dish frozen pie shell
1 lb of bacon cooked and crumbled (i cooked it in the microwave to save time)
1 bag of frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower mix
cheddar cheese or whichever cheese you prefer.
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Heat oven to 400 degres. Take out frozen pie shell and set aside
steam frozen veggies- this is the time to salt them as well
cook bacon in microwave (the entire pound) or in a pan, whichever you prefer.
Put milk and eggs into a bowl and slightly mix. Mash up steamed veggies and crumble bacon. I put the veggies in a mini food processor. Just make sure they don't turn to complete mush. You want them a little chunky.

Put veggies and bacon into the milk mixture. Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of cheese (depending on how much cheese you like) Make sure the mixture is not too thick- you want it slightly runny but not liquid. Add more milk (1/4 a cup) at a time until correct consistency is reached. Pour into the pie shell and top with cheese. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. You know it is done when you would be abel to slice it like a pie and have it stay together. I did put tinfoil on top of it around 30 minutes so the cheese didn't burn.

Let me know you you try this and what you thought of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how excited am i about your recipes? i love them so i'm going to constantly be stalking your blog.

Who I am Through Pictures