Thursday, June 2, 2022

The Great Sand Dunes National Park

 I am playing catch up. I was SO incredibly tired yesterday that I couldn't stay awake to blog about the day. I have SO MANY pictures and videos from the sand dunes. The dunes were magnificent. When you go into the dunes area, you have to cross a river. Right now the water is very low and there wasn't too much to play in, but enough to enjoy it. It didn't look like that far of a walk to the dunes, but walking in soft sand takes a while and uses muscles you don't realize you have. I didn't realize how sore I would be after walking in the sand. Even my ribs were sore. We took Callie with us as well and let her run around, but toward the end of the time there, the sand was getting hot and it was burning her poor little feet. I even tried to carry her a little of the way.  The kids had a blast going down the dunes on the sleds and sand boards. Caleb, Benjamin and I decided to climb to one of the top peaks. It took a while with quite a few stops as well.  The thin air and soft sand made it quite the challenge, but we made it to the top. I wish these pictures did justice to the beauty of this place







This is Edens fake smile face 
This is the river area that we had to cross. 

Eden kept stopping to lay in the sand. She was so excited to play in it. 




Let the fun begin. We started on a little small slope to get a hang of how to use the boards and then we moved to the bigger ones. 


Caleb was a natural with the sand board. He got the hang of it right away. 


Callie didn't know what to do with herself in the sand. She was jumping around and running. 



Eden just started sliding down on her stomach or rolling down the hill. 



















This was Caleb crashing at the bottom of the first big hill he did. 




Benjamin crashed after doing the sand board for the first time. He said he was just going to lay there for a while and recover. 

Brad went down a few times as well. There are pictures of me too, but they are on Brads phone and I haven't downloaded them yet. I crashed and flipped sideways the first time I went down on the sand board. 

Elijah and Eden were so excited that they saw a real tumble weed. Elijah chased it down and caught it. 

This is Caleb climbing up to the top peak. This place was just so vast and huge! He looks like an ant. 

This is one view from the top. It doesn't even look high up but it was. 

I made the boys wait for me to get to the top so I could take a picture with them.. The wind was pretty strong and the sand was whipping around us. 

This is Benjamin sledding down the HUGE hill. 


The top peak you see in the picture below is the one we hiked to the top of. I took this picture about 1/4 of the way back down. 

This was the little playground at the campground. It was super simple but all the kids there loved it. 

Once we got back from the dunes we were literally exhausted and had sand in every crease of our bodies. Still a few days later we still have sand in our ears. Later in the day after we rested and ate lunch etc. We went on a little hike around our campground. 


We really enjoyed this campground and location. It had a little store and restaurant and really clean bathrooms etc. We are glad we were able to make it.  Next we head to Bayfield, CO to meet up with the guy to fix the RV. 


No comments:

Who I am Through Pictures